Mr Trivedi has a busy clinical practice in general neurosurgery, undertaking between 300-400 cases per year.
He has specialist interests in spinal, cerebrovascular and skull base surgery having received specialist training in these areas in the USA. Whilst on fellowship, he gained proficiency in minimally invasive (keyhole) surgery techniques and performed the first keyhole lumbar discectomy in the region, shortly after his return. Mr Trivedi’s spinal practice includes treatment of spinal trauma, infection and tumours, and all aspects of degenerative spinal disease including disc prolapse and spinal stenosis. 80% of his spinal practice is now performed using minimally invasive (keyhole) techniques including day case lumbar discectomy and decompressions.
Mr Trivedi’s research interests to date have been in developing novel imaging techniques for assessment of vascular disease and have evolved to evaluate novel strategies in the treatment of spinal disorders. He has supervised numerous research student projects and has trained fellows in both cerebrovascular and spine surgery.
Rikin is an energetic and enthusiastic individual who enjoys travelling, music and the arts. He has a young family and when not working, enjoys spending time with them. He is a keen sportsmen and interested in all sporting activities but in particular, football, cricket and tennis. He also provides medical cover for a premiership football club and the London Amateur Boxing Association and has undertaken charity surgical missions to Haiti and India.
1. Trivedi, R, Huson S. M. & Donaghy M. “Neurofibromatosis II and focal amyotrophy.” (2000); J Neurol, Neurosurg & Psychiatry (69):257-261.
2. Trivedi, R, Amyes, L., Mundanthanan, G., Lang, B. & Vincent A. “Which antibodies are worth testing in subacute cerebellar ataxia?” (2000); Lancet (356):565-566.
3. Akmal M, Trivedi R., Sutcliffe J. “Functional Outcome in trauma patients with spinal injury” (2003) Spine (28): 180-85.
4. Trivedi RA, U-King-Im, J, Graves MJ, Goddard M, Horsley J, Kirkpatrick PJ, George Quartey, Jeremy Skepper, Liquan Wang, Justin Cross, Elizabeth Warburton, Gillard JH. “In vivo detection of macrophages within human carotid atheroma: temporal dependence of ultrasmall superparamagnetic particles of iron oxide enhanced MR imaging”. (2004) Stroke 35:1631-1635. .
5. Corot C, Petry K, Trivedi R.A., Zucca I, Saleh A, Jonkmanns C, Le Bas J-F, Blezer E, Rausch M, Brochet B, Gareau P, Balaireux D, Gaillard S, Dousset V. “Macrophage imaging in CNS and in Carotid atherosclerotic plaque using USPIO in MRI”. (2004) Investigative Radiology 39(10):619-25.
6. Trivedi RA, Green H.A.L, U-King-Im, J, Graves MJ, Black R, Kirkpatrick PJ, Griffiths P.D, Gillard JH. “Cerebral haemodynamic disturbances in patients with moderate carotid artery stenosis”. (2005) Eur J Vasc & Endovasc Surg 29 (1): 52-57.
7. Tipper G, U-King-Im, JM, Price SJ, Trivedi R.A., Antoun N, Higgins N, Cross J, Farmer R, Kirrolos RW, Kirkpatrick PJ, Gillard JH. “Detection and evaluation of intracranial aneurysms with 16-row multi-slice CT angiography”. (2005) Clin Radiology (60):565-72.
8. U-King-Im JM, Hollingworth W, Trivedi R.A., Graves MJ, Cross JJ, Higgins JNP, Kirkpatrick PJ, Antoun, Gillard JH. “Utility of an ultrafast magnetoic resonance imaging protocol in recent and semi-recent strokes”. (2005). J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 76(7): 1002-5.
9. Muller K., Skepper J.N., Posfai M., Trivedi R., Howarth S.M., Corot C., Lancelot E., Thompson P.W., Brown A.P., Gillard J.H. “Effect of ultrasmall superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles (Ferumoxtran-10) on human monocyte-macrophages in vitro”. (2007) Biomaterials 28(9): 1629-42.
10. Howarth, S. P., Li, Z. Y., Trivedi RA, JM, U. K.-I., Graves, M. JKirkpatrick, PJ, Gillard, JH. “Correlation of macrophage location and plaque stress distribution using USPIO-enhanced MRI in a patient with symptomatic severe carotid stenosis: a new insight into risk stratification”. Br J Neurosurg 2007 Aug; 21(4):396-8.
11. Trivedi RA, U-King-Im, J, Graves MJ, Goddard M, Horsley J, Kirkpatrick PJ, Gillard JH. “Identifying vulnerable carotid plaques in vivo using high resolution MRI based finite element analysis “.Journal of Neurosurgery 2007 (107): 536-542.
12. U-King-Im JM, Tang TY, Patterson A, Graves MJ, Howarth S, Li ZY, Trivedi R, Bowden D, Kirkpatrick PJ, Gaunt ME, Warburton EA, Antoun NM, Gillard JH. “Characterisation of carotid atheroma in symptomatic and asymptomatic patients using high resolution MRI”. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. (2008) Aug; 79(8):905-12.
13. Tang TY, Howarth S, Miller S, Trivedi RA, Li ZY, U-King-Im J, Graves MJ, Brown A, Gaunt M, Kirkpatrick PJ, Gillard JH “Correlation of carotid atheromatous plaque inflammation with biomechanical stress: Utility of USPIO enhanced MR imaging and finite element analysis.” Atherosclerosis (2008) Feb; 196(2):879-87).
14. Trivedi RA, Kirollos RW, Whitfield P. “Considerations in the management of cerebral arteriovenous malformations”. ACNR (2009) 9 (3): 26-29.
15. Weerakkody RA, Trivedi R, Santarius T, Kirollos RW “Arteriovenous Malformations” Br J Neurosurg (2009)23 (5):494-8.
16. Guilfoyle M., Khan S, Helmy, A, Jalloh I, Trivedi S, Trivedi RA, Kirkpatrick PJ. “Spinal Intradural Haemorrhage Associated with Wegener’s Granulomatosis” Clin Neurol Neurosurg (2010) 112 (4): 341-3.
17. Wang MY, Cummock M & Trivedi RA. “An analysis of the differences in the acute hospitalization charges following minimally invasive vs. open posterior lumbar interbody fusion” JNS: Spine (2010): 12 (6): 694-9.
18. Weerakkody R, Trivedi R.A, Cszonyka M, Pickard JD, Kirkpatrick, PJ, Hutchinson PJA. Intracranial Pressure monitoring in head injury patient [Chapter] in Head Injury: a multidisciplinary approach (Eds Whitfield, Thomas, Summers, Whyte, Hutchinson). Cambridge University Press (2009).
19. Trivedi R.A & Wang M.Y. Posterior Cervical Fixation. [Chapter] in Decision making in Minimally invasive spine surgery (Eds Sandhu, Voyadzis & Fessler). Thieme Medical Publishing Group, New York (ISBN: 9781604062663; Nov 2010).
20. Teo M, Murphy MM, Trivedi RA. “Non-contiguous Multifocal Staph Aureus Discitis: -involvement of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine.” Acta Neurochirugica.(2010) 152 (3): 471-4.
21. Markus H, Weerakakody RA, Trivedi RA, Santarius, Kirollos, R. “Management of arteriovenous malformations (AVMs) presenting with intracranial haemorrhage: the role of subacute resection.” Br J Neurosurg (2010) 23 (4):376-86.
22. Hood B, Quintero SC, Trivedi RA & Green BA. “Intramedullary spinal cord abscess in a healthy man-case report and literature review” World Neurosurgery(2011).